How to practice
- Sit on a mat with legs stretched out with thighs, knees, ankles and feet together.
- Keeping back and neck erect; rest on your buttock bones.
- Fold your right knee and bring it towards perineum till your heel touches inside of left thigh
- Ensure the right knee is pressed firmly on the floor
- With exhale hold the heel of left leg with both your hands (beginners may bend knees to hold heel)
- As you inhale tighten your stomach muscles and lift your left leg up (continue holding your heel)
- Stretch out the left leg fully and keep the back erect
- Balance on your pelvis, focus your gaze to the left feet
- Hold the pose as long as you are comfortable (about 30 secs). Relax and then repeat the asana with the other leg.
- Repeat the cycle for 3-4 times
- Tones and strengthens abdominal muscles and the heart
- Helps increase flexibility in lower body
- Opens hip joints and stretches hamstrings
- Opens and tones pelvic muscles
- Stretches and strengthens leg, ankle and foot muscles
- Tones and strengthens the arms
Practitioners with knee and ankle injury should go slower while performing this asana.